Monday, October 27, 2008

Name That Tune

Much later, during an uncertain period when I was trying to understand something of myself by selling encyclopedias and medical books in the towns of Guajira, by chance I got as far as that Indian death village. At the window of a house that faced the sea, embroidering by machine during the hottest hour of the day, was a woman half in mourning, with steel-rimmed glasses and yellowish gray hair, and hanging above her head was a cage with a canary that didn't stop singing. When I saw her like that in the idyllic frame of the window, I refused to believe that the woman there was who I thought it was, because I couldn't bring myself to admit that life might end up resembling bad literature so much.

4 comments:

stevedolph said...

is this Lowry in "Volcano"?

abbimireilledion said...

i thank you for checking this and for your good guess. but, no.

stevedolph said...

my only other guess is leopoldo lugones, but it's an ill fit. didn't cortazar sell encyclopedias in "letter to a young woman in paris"?

abbimireilledion said...

think joan mellon and then you've got it. g.g.m. the one. the only. i think you made this one harder than it was. a good trait.

i started reading "letter to a young..." online. however, the last two pages were, quote, unavailable.

this particular sales technique creates in me a mood of initial irritation, moving towards unmitigated disgust.