Tuesday, September 2, 2008

back with the opposite of a vengeance

September Three Years Later


It’s simply
this

You would rather spend another year in Minnesota
working with bottles
than a day like today in Philadelphia, a day like waiting for something to become involuntary
a man to look up your skirt as you bend down to pick up a knife
it is simple really – you don’t need Heidegger to unravel the worry you feel stepping down the subway stairs. You might stop thinking at night
There’s a lot to remember
Remember the day we met for a drink across the street? And moved down the street for a real drink. You let me drive home. But you were on the answering machine

How can Philadelphia feel so lonely when there are just as many people. In the garden tonight a cicada was whirring to the ground. I prodded the desiccated wings and watched the legs tremble

It is simple though my money has gone far, far, far as the couch and he says it’s not serious enough. He says I have choices to make. I said the check's in the mail. I need to find a new head
but in the meantime, I’m planning a party. And I will get drunk and some people will come
And some will snarl at their invitation. And at some point, inexplicably, I’ll start talking about Minneapolis

No comments: